There is more than one way to concatenate arrays, but not all ways are created equal. In this episode we'll compare three approaches in terms of both semantics and efficiency.
In a final refactoring to our pseudo-tail(1), we use an enumerator to encapsulate the process of searching text chunks for newlines.
Continuing to refactor our minimal tail(1) implementation, today we clean up a loop by encapsulating its state in a new object.
So far, our reimplementation of tail(1) bears a striking resemblance to the style of code we might find in the C implementation of the same utility. In this episode we'll …
Marching right along in our reimplementation of UNIX tail(1), today we tackle the problem of dumping the tail of the file to STDOUT once we've found the starting point.
We've figured out how to read chunks of text backwards from a file, now it's time to tackle searching that text for the beginnings of lines.
As we continue to rewrite a subset of the UNIX tail(1) command, we learn how to write a do...while loop in Ruby.
This episode kicks off a short miniseries on re-implementing a small subset of the UNIX "tail" command in Ruby. We'll start by learning how to jump around to arbitrary positions …
In the second of two episodes about the 'break' keyword, we discover how to override method return values to suit our own needs.
In this, the first of two episodes on the 'break' keyword, we look at how it can be applied beyond breaking out of loops.